We have been plant-based for three years. In those three years, we cut out all animal products including meat, dairy, eggs and fish. But when it came to oil, we figured, if it came from a plant, we were good to use it. It wasn’t until I took my Plant-Based Nutrition course that I learned the truth about oil…all oil…even olive oil.
Here are some key points:
- All oil (olive, canola, coconut, sunflower, soybean, peanut, corn) is nothing but fat…100% fat. It is highly refined – which means that all of the nutrients, including protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber and water have been removed, so there is no nutritional value.
- Both the mono unsaturated and saturated fat contained in the oils you consume constricts blood flow. When the arteries constrict, the endothelium (the blood vessel’s lining) is injured, triggering plaque build up which opens the gateway to vascular disease.
- Oil has more calories per gram than any other food we know. At 120 calories a tablespoon, it’s very easy to eat too much. I always wondered why I could not lose those last few pounds…now I knew why.
I shared this information with my husband and we decided to cut oil out of our diet. We went through our pantry and fridge, I was shocked as I read labels…so many foods had oil listed in the ingredients!
As I threw the tub of Earth Balance in the trash, I could not help thinking “what am I going to spread on my glorious morning toast?” Out went the salad dressings, spray butters, tortilla chips…then…the bottle of extra virgin olive oil…how would I pop popcorn? roast potatoes? saute veggies??? I admit I was nervous.
Many people ask us how we cook without oil. It is actually rather easy and I am saddened that I had not known earlier. So this is how we do it:
- Instead or using margarine we now make our own fruit jam to spread on our toast. 4 ingredients, no preservatives or pectin…so easy…and so delicious.
- We saute veggies in a bit of veggie broth. Yeah…I know…so simple. They come out great, oil is NOT necessary.
- We roast food in the oven on parchment paper or a silicone mat…food does not stick, and comes out perfect.
- We substitute plant-based foods for oil in baking…like applesauce, avocado or banana!
- We pop popcorn in a glass bowl with a plate on top…we spray the popcorn with Liquid Aminos and then sprinkle on nutritional yeast…so yummy!
- We bake our own tortilla chips from cut corn tortillas placed on parchment, sprinkle with salt…they come out so crisp!
- We roast whole garlic heads in the oven and then spread the cloves on crusty bread…garlic bread without butter!
- We make our own fresh and oil-free salad dressings from recipes found online.
After 4 weeks of no oil, I am happy to say, I lost those last few pounds (10 total!) I actually thought our scale was broken…every few days I lost another pound. I was pretty shocked…but in a good way!
Another good thing we discovered is that our food tastes even better. No more oily residue. Food is lighter, crisper and yummier! Until you remove it, you don’t realize how much it alters the taste of your food.
So what are you waiting for? There are many benefits to giving up oil. Send us a message with any questions you may have. We are here to support you on your Oil-free, Whole Food Plant-Based journey!